Cranberry Township Municipal Center
2525 Rochester Road
Cranberry Township, PA 16066-6499
This advanced floodplain management course is a dynamic and interactive course covering Floodway Standards, Disconnects between NFIP Regulations and Insurance, Common Noncompliance Issues, Digital Flood Insurance Rate Maps (DFIRMs) and Substantial Improvement/Substantial Damage. Each topic is designed to be discussed and reviewed in detail.
• Explain floodway concept and purpose.
• Identify regulatory requirements including higher standards.
• Describe methodologies to comply with no-rise certification requirements and map change options for floodway modifications.
• Identify basic rating elements including Lowest Floor Elevation and Base Flood Elevation (LFE/BFE).
• Identify compliance and rating elements for enclosures, A-Zones without BFEs, and flood proofing.
• Identify common floodplain management compliance issues.
• Describe effective messages, administration, and enforcement measures to gain compliance.
• Identify resources that the local floodplain manager (FPM) can use to resolve noncompliance issues.
• Describe floodplain mapping purpose, process, and coordination.
• Demonstrate how DFIRMs and backup data can be used.
• Describe map change processes, impact, and cost consequences.
• Explain Substantial Improvement and Substantial Damage (SI/SD) regulations, roles, and responsibilities under the NFIP.
• Describe how to administer SI/SD in participating communities.
• Identify resources for SI/SD and mitigation assistance.
Recommended: Participants should have completed E0273, Managing Floodplain Development through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
8:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. Registration
8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Instruction time
12 CECs for CFMs
24 Uniform Construction Code/ICC credit hours